Please note - while aligned with the KemperSports Home office in Northbrook, IL, this position will be based at the Los Angeles Athletic Club in Los Angeles, CA.
For more than 125 years, The Los Angeles Athletic Club has remained dedicated to its mission of providing for the body, mind and spirit of its members. Our private club includes state-of-the-art athletic and spa facilities, award-winning restaurants, bars, luxury meeting and conference spaces, hotel rooms, and an array of social, business, and athletic events.
The Human Resources Manager plays a crucial role in ensuring that members and guests have positive experiences through the selection and training of employees to support the organization’s efforts. This position is responsible for all of the club’s human resource activities including recruitment, onboarding, compensation, regulatory compliance, performance management, employee relations, and training. This position will also manage one other individual.
Part of job performance requires a positive attitude and a real commitment to competence, job knowledge, pride, professional appearance, courtesy, and excellence in customer service. Issues are to be addressed with an attitude of cooperation and problems resolved professionally.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
Recruitment and Onboarding New Staff
- Advertise open positions, screen applicants, assist with interviews, selection, background checks, and reference checks ensuring the Los Angeles Athletic Club hires the best qualified candidates.
- Onboard new hires via online system, coordinate orientation, explaining policies and procedures, and work with hiring supervisors on first day and departmental orientation.
Policy Development and Regulatory Compliance
- Coordinate with department managers to create and update accurate job descriptions.
- Develop and ensure consistent and fair application of policies and procedures.
- Keep current with federal and California state laws and make sure that Club policies and procedures remain in compliance.
- Oversee employee records management and the analysis, maintenance, and communication of records required by law or local governing bodies and other departments in the organization.
Training and Performance Management
- Review and coordinate Club employee training programs. Work with department leaders to create job-specific training.
- Coordinate employee recognition programs.
- Lead annual performance review program.
- Foster sense of community among employees through special events and communications to ensure employees stay informed.
- Act as a confidential resource for both management and employees in conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Respond to all workers’ compensation and unemployment claims. Represent Club at all hearings and appeals.
- Perform investigations as needed regarding charges of harassment, discrimination, and other sensitive matters.
- Analyze compensation market data. Develop and recommend competitive compensation plan.
- Oversee and implement compensation incentive program for managers and directors.
- Analyze existing Club benefit policies and prevailing practices among similar organizations to establish competitive benefit programs within budgetary guidelines.
- Manage the Club’s human resources information system. Maintain and update personnel data. Create reports in UKG, as needed.
- Serve as advisor to Club leadership regarding organizational structure.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management or a related field and 7+ years of related experience; additional experience may be substituted in lieu of education. PHR or SPHR certification preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal, California state, and local employment regulations including SB93.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with track record of effectively dealing a wide variety of personality types.
- Effective management and organizational skills.
- Evidence of a high degree of integrity and the ability to practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office applications, payroll, and HR information systems (UKG preferred).
- Customer-service orientation to create an atmosphere of genuine care for employees and provide a high level of personalized service.
- Demonstrated ability to think and act quickly, problem solve, and perform effectively under pressure while maintaining a professional, helpful, and poised demeanor.
- Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a high-volume office environment.
- Current valid driver’s license.
Core Competencies Required
- LANGUAGE: Bilingual English and Spanish language skills are required.
- TEAMWORK: Actively participates in achievement of team and Club goals for the good of the group, rather than merely for one's own benefit.
- COMMUNICATIONS: Consistently communicates in a clear and concise fashion.
- RESPONSIBILITY: Takes ownership of risks and consequences of decisions and actions and shares successes with supporting team.
- INITIATIVE: Seeks out opportunities that maximize professional growth and contribute to the Club's success.
- RESULTS-ORIENTED: Focuses on achievement of commitments and goals.
- CUSTOMER FOCUS: Places customer's needs and viewpoint first.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Full-time, Exempt
KemperSports is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply
Please apply through the KemperSports online application. Please reference your affiliation to the Evans Scholars Foundation in your application.